Monday, July 3, 2017

Spruill Family Heritage

"This is a super project. I am so glad that one of my Spruill Family "Heritage" fig bushes from North Carolina will soon be set out in the orchard. I hope it will like its new home. You can read about this variety and see photos at https://certified.naturallygrown.org/producers/4126 Jack"

Jack made that comment on our last post.  Honestly I have to partly credit the work Jack has done as being a major inspiration for the community orchard.  I encourage all readers to go have a read about what they do.

Having been such an inspiration and active in prompting me to get going with the project, I decided to start the second row of the orchard with the Spruill Family Heritage fig tree that was sent by Jack last fall and overwintered in the garage.  It has been in a five gallon bucket but I don't think it likes the confinement much, being it had five gallons worth of roots when he sent it. Time to spread those roots!





 Recent rains have done wonders for the ground out there and the digging ease is much improved!  This hole was prepared in about fifteen minutes after removal of the top grass layer.

Thank you for sharing a part of Your Family Heritage with our community Jack Spruill.  We're happy to have the honor!

Current spot map...




2 comments:

  1. Charlie, Thank you so much for those kind words. Actually, Clay Coor rooted the bush. I know that he shares my pleasure that this heritage variety which has thrived on our North Carolina farm since at least 1914 is now part of a wonderful community orchard in Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow a very interesting community garden in Adelaide, Australia which operates as Joe's Connected Garden. It is an project of the Rare Fruit Society of South Australia. The garden has a number of fig varieties. I wish it were legal to share cutting with them. https://www.facebook.com/JoesConnectedGarden/

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so spammers need not waste their time.